I have a confession: I absolutely HATE nail salons. I hate how long they take, hate making small talk with the manicurist, hate the limited polish shades they often offer and most importantly, the hygiene aspect of it makes me crazy! It seems like every time I turn around I’m seeing a post on Twitter about nail salon hygiene issues. Gross. Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, a few years ago I had a few hours to kill in the Seattle airport. I was headed to Los Angeles to hang with Doug for a few days and since I hadn’t yet found an alternative, my hate-on for nail salons hadn’t quite reached its peak. I visited the Butter London “salon” for a pedicure.
If you’ve never tried Butter products, you should really give them a shot. They have awesome collections of nail lacquer and they add new ones each season. Butter London in SEATAC is really just a large storefront in which they have staff to help you test the Butter products in the guise of a pedicure or manicure. There are no soaker tubs, no cuticle clippers (most places don’t even use those these days anyway) and overall the process is far from invasive. It’s great! That day, I became a convert.
The products are simple and like many things, the more frequently you do it, the less work it becomes. That day, I bought the Cuticle Miracle Kit and haven’t looked back. It’s an easy process and makes all the world of difference, my nail colour often lasts a whole week afterward (no chips!).
The process will take 20 minutes and it’s easy:
- Paint Melt Away gel along your cuticles and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Gently push back your cuticles with a cuticle pusher (you can buy one at any drugstore, I use one like this).
- Carefully clean your nails and wash away the exfoliant.
- Buff your nails with a buffer to smooth out the creases.
- Finish by applying cuticle oil like Butter’s Handbag Holiday and let that soak in for a few minutes.
- After letting your nails absorb the cuticle oil, remove that with a swipe of nail polish remover and start applying your base coat.
Voila! Nails fit for a queen! Your nails will look so healthy that you may just want to leave it at that–I sometimes do–or continue on with your regular polish regime. The Coveteur posted a few great at home polish tips from the pros. You can scope that here.